Post-COVID syndrome or “Long Covid” is defined as signs and symptoms that develop during or following an infection consistent with COVID-19 which continue for more than 12 weeks and are not explained by an alternative diagnosis.
We currently accept referrals for anyone with ongoing signs and symptoms from 4 weeks following their initial suspected or confirmed COVID-19 infection.
Symptoms are wide-ranging and fluctuating and can include breathlessness, fatigue, headaches, brain fog, anxiety and stress.
Barnet Post-COVID Service provides a comprehensive therapy and medical assessment following a referral from primary or secondary care to support physical, emotional, and psychosocial needs of those living with Long Covid. We provide our assessment in a face-to-face clinic. We also provide an online video link and telephone review for a small number of patients who are not able to make it to clinic.
About the team
We are a multi-disciplinary team (MDT) comprising of a clinical lead respiratory specialist, respiratory consultants, specialist respiratory physiotherapists, an occupational therapist, a psychologist and rehabilitation assistant. We work very closely with University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (UCLH) as part of our larger MDT dealing with complex post-COVID patients.
We provide Post-COVID assessment and rehabilitation through a self-management approach for symptoms including breathlessness, fatigue, anxiety, depression, neuromuscular weakness, reduced exercise tolerance, and brain fog.
You will receive a holistic assessment for breathing pattern disorders, psychological impact, fatigue, basic autonomic response and exercise tolerance. This assessment is to understand the impact of long-term COVID-19 symptoms on your everyday functions and what support may be required, to facilitate a steady recovery.
Barnet Post-COVID rehabilitation will include:
- Introduction to the Living with Covid Recovery App.
- Advice and guidance on the management of your current symptoms.
- Signposting or referral to other community services if this is needed.
- Weekly online group consultations on different topics with our team.
- Monthly online peer support group led by a patient expert.
- Onwards referral to members of a multi-disciplinary team at Central London Community Hospital NHS Trust or University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (UCLH).
Your COVID Recovery is an online website containing general information on all aspects of recovering from COVID-19 including physical, emotional and psychological wellbeing. The site offers general advice on recovery, returning to work and information for families and carers of patients with post-COVID syndrome. Visit: www.yourcovidrecovery.nhs.uk
For local psychological support visit:
- Barnet wellbeing service: www.barnetwellbeing.org.uk/counselling
- Mind in Enfield and Barnet: www.mindeb.org.uk/services-for-individuals/barnet/wellbeing/sanctuary/
For breathlessness mamagement visit:
For fatigue and advice on conserving energy visit:
For vocational rehabilitation and support on return to work visit:
For support with sleep visit:
For advice on diet visit:
For support with lost or changed sense of smell visit:
We accept referrals for all adults living in Barnet who identify themselves as having Post-COVID syndrome and are registered with a Barnet GP practice.
The referral will be processed by CLCH Single-Point of Access (SPA).
For appointments booking or rescheduling please call 020 8732 6333 Monday and Wednesday, from 8am to 4pm
For further support, please contact us via messages on the Living with Covid Recovery app.
Location and opening hours
East Barnet Health Centre
Address: 149 East Barnet Rd, London, EN4 8QZ
Opening times: 9am to 5pm (Wednesdays only)
Post-COVID Assessment (PAC) Service
The Post Covid Assessment Service takes a holistic, patient-centred approach to help with symptoms and make day-to-day more manageable. This means we consider the physical, emotional and social needs of our patients and the people close to them.
About the team
We are a multi-disciplinary team, comprising of physiotherapists, occupational therapists, and rehabilitation assistants, working together to provide advice, support and education through a self-management approach of symptoms. Our assessment and treatment will focus on your physical and general wellbeing, such as your behaviour, mood and emotions. This can include:
· Providing advice and guidance on the management of your current symptoms
· Introduce you to the Living with Covid Recovery App
· Signposting you to other community services if this is needed
· Provide advice on enhancing your sleep, diet, physical activity and mental wellbeing
· Onwards referral to members of a multi-disciplinary team of healthcare workers
· Onwards referral to the Specialist Post Covid Assessment Service at St George’s Hospital in select circumstances
Patients are referred to the service by primary care only. We accept referrals for patients with GPs based in the following CCG areas: Wandsworth and Merton.
Referrals will be processed via CLCH Single-Point of Access (SPA) during working hours of Monday-Friday 9am – 5pm. Any referrals sent outside of this time period will be processed the next working day.
Your COVID Recovery is an online website containing general information on all aspects of recovering from COVID-19 including physical, emotional and psychological wellbeing. The site offers general advice on recovery, returning to work and information for families and carers of patients with post Covid syndrome. Visit: www.yourcovidrecovery.nhs.uk
Who we see
We offer guidance and assistance to all adults over the age of 18 whose primary care doctors are located in Wandsworth and Merton.
Wandsworth and Merton Post Covid Assessment Service
Wandsworth patient line – 0333 300 0950
Merton patient line – 0333 241 4242
Our service takes a holistic, patient-centred approach to help with symptoms and make day-to-day life more manageable. This means we consider the physical, emotional, and social needs of our patients and the people close to them.
About the team
We are a multi-disciplinary team consisting of:
• A GP
• Occupational Therapist
• Nurse Specialist
• Clinical Exercise Physiologist
• Clinical Psychologist
• Speech and Language Therapist
• Rehabilitation Assistant
We are a rehabilitation-based service offering advice to self-manage symptoms and make daily life feel more manageable. We liaise closely with your GP and can make onward referrals as required. Some of the services we offer include:
- Holistic assessment and rehabilitation from our multidisciplinary team including, fatigue management, vocational rehabilitation, management of brain fog or breathlessness advice and rehabilitation
- 8-week virtual self-management education programme
- 8-week rehabilitation exercise prescription group programme
- Referral to the ‘Living with’ app
- Cognitive Neuro-rehab virtual group
- Mindfulness and relaxation virtual group
- Onward referrals to other specialist services
The above treatments can be delivered over the telephone, virtually or in a clinic-based community setting.
We see people who have a registered GP in West Hertfordshire and are over 18 years old. Your GP will need to refer you, and they may wish to carry out tests such as bloods, heart tracing Electrocardiogram (ECG), and chest X-rays.
- If you need mental health support, please see the following:
- Hertfordshire Partnership Foundation NHS Trust:
- Wellbeing team: www.hpft-iapt.nhs.uk
- Freephone: 0800 6444 101 (24 hours a day), live chat: www.hpft.nhs.uk (7 am - 7 pm)
- The Samaritans: Call: 116 123
- StayAlive App - Essential suicide prevention for everyday life
- Other immediate support at any time: contact your GP, call NHS 111, or visit A&E
We recommend the following websites for further information regarding Long Covid: www.yourcovidrecovery.nhs.uk
West Hertfordshire Post Covid Assessment Service