There are three community neurology specialist nurses working within the remit of the neurology service. Each nurse leads on a specific neurological condition (multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease and epilepsy).
The nurses are qualified in their specialisms and have experience in managing highly complex healthcare conditions in their field of nursing. All their clinical interventions are evidence based and the nurses participate in ongoing research.
The team work together to provide advice, guidance and support for people and their families living with long-term neurological conditions, within the borough of Harrow.
Our neurology service can assist anyone who is 18 years or older with a confirmed neurological diagnosis of multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease or epilepsy (with or without other long-term health conditions).
However they must be registered with a Harrow GP.
The team work within the integrated community services, but also have close links with Northwick Park Hospital and other neurology services.
- Home visits - to provide complex assessments, problem-solving, specialist support and treatment (where appropriate) for patients and their family.
- Nurse-led clinics within the community in Harrow
- Support, advice and education to patients, family/carers, community healthcare professionals and other residential or social care providers in the community.
- Referral to other services will be carried out, when required.
- Each specialist service will offer person centered supported treatment and self-management tailored to their specific neurological condition.
- The community specialist nurses will work in collaboration with the patients’ specialist hospital neurology teams and GPs in the community.
- Specialist nurses also offer carer group support.
A written referral, with a confirmed neurological diagnosis must be sent from their GP, medical doctor or another health professional. All referrals are sent through the single point of access (SPA).
SPA contact details
- Phone: 0300 555 8889
- eFax: 0300 008 3196
The team works in partnership with the patient, carers and local voluntary sector groups to deliver a patient centered service. There is considerable focus on patient and family education and carer support.
The service has benchmarked itself against the national service framework for long term conditions, NICE guidelines for MS, Parkinson's and Epilepsy.
The specialist nurses have access and liaise with:
- Hospital neurologist
- Occupational therapist
- Community physiotherapist
- Hospital neurophysiotherapist
- Speech and language therapist
- Falls service
- Social services
- Voluntary / charity agencies
Neurology clinical nurse specialist team
- Address: First Floor, Honeypot Lane Health Centre, 839 Honeypot Lane, Stanmore, HA7 1AT
- Opening hours: Monday to Friday, excluding bank holidays, 9am to 5pm