If your child attends a school in Harrow and you would like to apply for a school clothing grant, you will need to contact the school directly to make an application.
The following organisations may be able to provide you with advice and support to help with the cost of school clothing:
If you get Income-Based Jobseekers Allowance, Income Related Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support or Pension Credit, you may be able to receive an interest free budgeting loan from the Social Fund to help with the cost of school clothing.
Some school governing bodies or parent's associations can help with school clothing. This help is usually provided by the school keeping a stock of second-hand clothing which it gives to pupils who fall within its criteria for help, or by running a second-hand uniform shop where the clothing can be bought cheaply by any parent.
Various charities may be able to provide small grants to help with the cost of school uniforms, but this may take some time and can be subject to conditions. You may be able to apply to Harrow Mayor's Fund for a small grant subject to availability via the Mayor's office. You can also view the Directory of Grant Making Trusts. If you have a social worker you may be able to seek help from them. To learn more click there https://www.harrow.gov.uk/schools-learning/school-clothing-grants
Travel grant for children attending a school outside of Harrow
The school travel allowance is a financial assistance to cover your child's travel costs to school and back.
You can apply for the allowance if we were unable to offer your child a school place within Harrow and they meet the following criteria:
- they are aged between 8 - 10 and live more than 2 miles from the nearest school for which they have been offered a place
- they are aged between 11 - 16 and live more than 2 miles but less than 6 miles from one of the schools for which they have been offered a place
- they are aged between 11 - 16 and lives more than 3 miles but not more than 15 miles, from the school preferred by his or her parents on grounds of religion or belief and where no other suitable school is available.
Travel grant for students aged 16 - 19
To apply for a travel grant you must be:
Living in Harrow
- studying at a centre which is at least three miles from your home and within 1 hour and 15 minutes travel from your home by public transport
- studying a course which is not available in a school, academy or college
- receiving free school meals or received free school meals in year 11 at school