Hammersmith & Fulham - Cost of living

Read more about this page below

With the cost living rising, this is an urgent priority and we are doing everything we can to support our residents and working with local partners to help residents through this difficult time.

Read Hammersmith & Fulham Council's winter booklet - an accessible version can be downloaded here.

You can get up to £500 every three months (up to £2,000 a year) for each of your children to help with the costs of childcare. This goes up to £1,000 every three months if a child is disabled (up to £4,000 a year). Find out more on the GOV.UK Tax-Free Childcare page https://www.gov.uk/tax-free-childcare If you need help with childcare costs for two, three and four-year-olds, visit our https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/children-and-young-people/early-years/help-childcare-costs


Free schools meals and uniform

Free school meals and clothing grants to help parents buy school uniforms are available for pupils whose parents or carers receive certain benefits. We are committed to building shared prosperity in the borough by providing your child with the best education and support opportunities. Find out more on https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/benefits/student-benefits-and-grants


Nappy voucher

If you are pregnant or have a baby and live in H&F, you are entitled to one free real nappy voucher worth £45. This can be used to purchase any real nappies and related accessories from the Washable Nappy Company. See Real Nappies https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/recycling-and-rubbish/reduce-and-reuse/real-nappies for more details.


Prescription Help

Did you know, if you regularly pay prescription charges, a prescription prepayment certificate (PPC) could save you money? Or if you have low income you may qualify for help through the NHS Low Income Scheme. To find more click here https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-low-income-scheme and https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/help-nhs-prescription-costs/nhs-prescription-prepayment-certificates-ppcs

Find out about benefits you may be entitled to and how to get extra support in a crisis. Further details on Universal Credit payments are here https://www.understandinguniversalcredit.gov.uk/

If you are a council tenant in H&F, our Welfare Benefits Team can provide welfare rights advice including debt advice, support to identify benefit entitlement and apply for grants. Contact us for more information about benefits https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/benefits/contact-us-about-council-tax-support-or-housing-benefit

You can also use the government's benefits checker to find out about what other support you may be entitled to. You can also use an independent benefits calculator to find out what benefits you could get. To find out more https://www.gov.uk/check-benefits-financial-support and https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

If your older please look at the Pensions Credit Calculator https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit-calculator

If you are on a low income and need help to pay your council tax bill, then you may qualify for council tax support. Find out if you qualify for council tax support by using our online application and calculator. Visit our help with council tax page https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/council-tax/help-council-tax or call 020 8753 6681 if you need help and advice.

If you are struggling to pay your bill and want to find out more about ways we can help and other organisations in the borough who can help, see help paying https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/benefits/help-paying

Council tax energy rebate and discretionary council tax energy rebate payment schemes

Applications for the council tax energy rebate are now closed. All payments will be made by 7 October. The council has been awarded further funding for a discretionary council tax energy rebate scheme. For more information about both the council tax energy rebate scheme and the discretionary council tax energy rebate scheme please visit https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/council-tax/reductions-discounts-and-exemptions/council-tax-energy-rebate-payment

For those who are able to use them, we want to make sure that our foodbanks are operating well and that they have food supplies and volunteers to support them. Find out more about foodbanks in Hammersmith & Fulham https://hammersmithfulham.foodbank.org.uk/


Nourish Hub

The Nourish Hub is a new community kitchen and space for local residents to meet and also receive culinary training. It has been created by H&F Council by refurbishing a disused space on the ground floor of Swanscombe House at 1 St Ann's Road on the Edward Woods Estate in W11.

The hub is run by food charity, UK Harvest, and provides opportunities for local people to come together to cook, eat and learn about how to eat more healthily. 

Their services include:

  •  community lunch serving tasty, filling and warming meals at a price you choose
  •  free education sessions, helping you cook healthy meals for less
  •  volunteer to learn new skills and help your local community.

For more details, visit: https://www.nourishhub.org.uk/


Rose vouchers

Funded by H&F Council, the Rose Vouchers Project helps residents living in poverty with children under the age of five get fresh fruit and vegetables from local market stalls. Find out more here https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/articles/news/2021/10/one-millionth-rose-voucher-goes-family-need-north-end-road-market

Energy price guarantee

The Energy Price Guarantee limits the unit rates for gas and electricity you can be charged by your supplier. Your exact bill amount will continue to be influenced by how much energy you use. There is no “cap” on the overall bill - only on the price of each unit used. This measure is in addition to the other support available for your energy bills which you can find out more about below.

Based on guidance from the Energy Price Guarantee, a typical household in Great Britain will pay an average £2,500 a year on their energy bill, for the next two years, from 1 October 2022. A detached home will pay an average £3,300 a year, a semi detached home £2,650 and a flat between £1,750-1,950. These figures are a guide based on typical energy use. You do not need to apply and there is no need to contact your energy supplier. To find out more https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/energy-bills-support/energy-bills-support-factsheet-8-september-2022 and https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/what-are-the-price-cap-unit-rates-/


Council tax energy rebate

A one-off payment is available to most households living in properties in council tax bands A-D.  The application process is now closed.  All applications submitted have now been processed. A new discretionary council tax energy rebate will be made available soon. Find out more here https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/council-tax/reductions-discounts-and-exemptions/council-tax-energy-rebate-payment


Energy Bills Support Scheme

Households will get £400 of support with their energy bills through an expansion of the Energy Bills Support Scheme. As well as doubling the £200 of support announced earlier this year, the full £400 payment will now be made as a grant, which will not be recovered through higher bills in future years.

Energy suppliers will deliver this support to households with a domestic electricity meter over six months from October 2022. Direct debit and credit customers will have the money credited to their account, while customers with pre-payment meters will have the money applied to their meter or paid via a voucher. 

This support is in addition to the £150 council tax energy rebate.



Energy supplier help

Your energy supplier can work with you to agree a payment plan so do contact your supplier as soon as you can if you are worried about paying your energy bills. More information about how to do this can be found on the Ofgem website: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/energy-advice-households/getting-help-if-you-cant-afford-your-energy-bills




Energy Café

Get advice on energy efficiency or if you’re struggling with bills. Sessions are open to all H&F residents.

Morgan Sindall Property Services (MSPS) – one of H&F’s official repairs and maintenance contractors – hold regular advice sessions for residents about energy issues, including if you’re struggling to pay your bills or need extra support.

These sessions can be delivered over the phone, virtually, or face to face and occur on the first Wednesday of each month from 11am to 12.30pm.

Those running the sessions have passed a Level 3 qualification in Energy Awareness with National Energy Action, enabling them to advise residents on the following:

  • what to do if you’re struggling to pay your energy bills

  • making sure your home is energy efficient

  • keeping your home free from condensation and mould growth

  • the best boiler controls for heating your home efficiently

  • grants and benefits to help you pay your energy bills

  • signposting for extra support to other agencies.

To book a session, please contact CSRbox@morgansindall.com


Pre-payment meters

Customers with prepayment meters who are struggling to top up their meter should contact their supplier immediately to discuss options. If your supplier can’t help, you may be eligible for a one-off voucher through our Household Support Fund. You can receive up to three £30 vouchers in a six-month period.

If you're struggling financially and are close to being disconnected or have little or no credit on your pre-payment meter please contact the following numbers and one of our advisors will discuss your situation with you.

If you need urgent support with food, medicine, loneliness or isolation and or fuel payments please call Community Connect on 0800 145 6095. Council tenants please call the Housing Income Team on 020 8753 5566. If you are in temporary accommodation or are a private tenant please call H&F Link on 020 8753 1587. If you are in receipt of Council Tax Support and or housing benefit please call the contact centre on 020 8753 6681.

If you would like to sign up to a session, please contact CSRbox@morgansindall.com.


Council tenants

We can provide advice, support and guidance if you’re having difficulty in paying the rent.

This may include setting up a payment plan, or supporting you to claim benefits such as Universal Credit or Employment Support Allowance.

Please contact the rental income team on 020 8753 6032 or email rentincome@lbhf.gov.uk. Our phone line is open 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.


Private renters

If you are struggling to pay your rent you can apply for Universal Credit. If you are already receiving Universal Credit or housing benefit you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment.

If you are a private tenant or landlord struggling to maintain their tenancy due to affordability issues or lapses in rent payments resulting in arrears, please contact the tenancy sustainment officer at H&F Link on 020 8753 1587 or send an email for the attention of Shelly Musa, to hf.link@lbhf.gov.uk


Temporary accommodation tenants

Tenants who are living in council temporary accommodation but are struggling to pay rent, amenity charges or utility bills, please contact Rajdeep Sidhu at H&F Link on 020 8753 1587 or send an email for the attention of Rajdeep Sidhu to hf.link@lbhf.gov.uk



If you’re a homeowner, please call your mortgage provider to explain your change in financial circumstances. You may be able to pause mortgage payments for up to three months.


Disabled Facilities Grants

These mandatory grants are available to residents who need to make changes to their accommodation to enable them to continue to live independently. The grants up to a maximum of £30,000 (subject to a means test) are available to owner/occupiers and tenants for adaptations and/or facilities. Find out more on our private housing grants page.

Accessibility tools