Herts Bedded Units Falls Champions shortlisted for the 2022 HSJ Patient Safety Awards
We are delighted to announce that the Herts Bedded Unit Falls Champions have been shortlisted for Patient Safety Team of the Year at this year’s HSJ Patient Safety Awards, recognising their outstanding contribution to patient safety. Following two of the toughest years in the health and social care sector, the team continues to champion patient safety amidst challenges that the health and social care sector is facing.
The team have been shortlisted despite the tough competition from hundreds of applicants. The Herts Bedded Unit Falls Champions have been selected based on their ambition, visionary spirit and the demonstrable positive impact that their project has had on patient and staff experiences within the health sector.
The judging panel is made up of a diverse range of highly influential and respected figures within the healthcare community including:
• Victoria Jones, Consultant Paediatrician and Deputy Medical Director Patient Safety and Learning, North Middlesex University Hospital
• Neal Jones, Director of Patient Safety, Liverpool University Hospitals FT
• Nishaal Abraham, Head of Patient Safety and Complaints, Cambridgeshire and Peterborough FT
• Dr Hester Wain, Head of Patient Safety Policy, NHS England and NHS Improvement
• Mark Axcell, Interim CEO Designate and Interim Accountable Officer, Black Country Integrated Care System and Black Country and West Birmingham CCG
• Arlene Wellman MBE, Group Chief Nursing Officer, St George's, Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals Trust
In response to an increase in number of falls, and in particular falls with harm, in the inpatient units the team worked on developing falls prevention strategies to reduce the numbers and amount of harm sustained by our patients. One of the main strategies the team used was to reintroduce a culture where Falls Prevention is everyone’s responsibility. The team have been successful in reducing the levels of falls and harm, and in increasing the confidence of staff in Falls Prevention.
The full list of finalists for the 2022 HSJ Patient Safety Awards can be found here.
Winners will be selected ahead of the ceremony, which will take place as part of the Patient Safety Congress and Awards in Manchester in September 2022.