Green achievements at CLCH
In October 2020, as part of the Trust’s strategic priorities to achieve a more sustainable, greener future, CLCH launched its ‘Green Plan.’ This set out a commitment to reducing the Trust’s impact on the environment, acknowledging the significant amount of waste and carbon from our services, travel and transport, both directly and through our supply chain.
Through the activities set out in the Green Plan, CLCH is also helping support wider initiatives such as the Greener NHS programme , the UK national government pledge to reach net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050 and the Mayor of London’s plan for sustainable development in the capital.
Here’s a look at some of our ‘Green achievements’ so far:
- The establishment of the Green Network, an ever expanding group of staff advocates raising awareness of environmental issues who also provide visible leadership for green sustainability matters in the workplace
- An assessment of the Trust’s carbon footprint (circa 5,690 tCO2e NHS Carbon Footprint 2019/20) and the identification of schemes and trajectories to achieve net zero emissions by the NHS target of 2040.
- A programme of “quick win” energy saving measures, across CLCH managed estates, including LED lighting, insulation and energy management systems.
- Changes to the Trust vehicle lease schemes, so that all new leases for Trust staff are electric vehicles or hybrid and from April 2022 all new leases must for be 100% electric vehicles.
- By March 2022, electric vehicle chargers will be deployed across 11 CLCH sites
- A staff cycle network has been established for staff who cycle to work or use a bicycle for work, who share information about cycling across CLCH
- From this month, only recycled paper is available for purchase and use at the Trust
- There is collaboration in all our ICS green workstreams, focusing on the production of ICS level green plans and collaboration over joint programmes