Welcome to the West Hertfordshire Post Covid Service website. Our service takes a holistic, patient-centred approach to help with symptoms and make day to day life more manageable. This means we consider the physical, emotional and social needs of our patients and the people close to them.
Post-Covid or Long Covid is defined by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) as signs and symptoms that develop during or following an infection consistent with COVID-19 which continue for more than 12 weeks and are not explained by an alternative diagnosis.
We are a multi-disciplinary team consisting of:
- A GP
- Occupational Therapist
- Nurse specialist
- Speech and Language Therapist
- Rehabilitation support worker
We are a rehabilitation based service offering symptom advice to self-manage symptoms and make daily life feel more manageable. We liaise closely with your GP and can make onward referrals as required. Some of the services we offer include:
- Holistic assessment and rehabilitation from our multidisciplinary team including, fatigue management, vocational rehabilitation, management of brain fog or breathlessness advice and rehabilitation
- 8 week online self management programme
- Referral to the ‘Living with’ app
- Referral to MIND local peer support group for patients with post covid symptoms to help support each other.
- Onward referrals to other services
The above treatments can be delivered over the telephone or video calls in a clinic setting.
We see people who have a registered GP in West Hertfordshire and are over 18 years old. Your GP will need to refer you. They will have carried out a few recommended tests to exclude other pathologies that could cause your symptoms. This allows us to be sure this is treated beforehand and ensure you are suitable for rehabilitation Some examples may include: Blood tests, heart tracing ECG and chest X-rays.
- Our team have developed the following resource book which covers all the main symptoms of Long Covid which we would recommended reading.
- If you are in need of mental health support please see the following
- Wellbeing team: www.hpft-iapt.nhs.uk
- Mental Health Support Freephone: 0800 6444 101 (24 hours a day), live chat: www.hpft.nhs.uk (7am - 7pm)
- The Samaritans: 116 123
- StayAlive - Essential suicide prevention for everyday life
- Other immediate support at any time: contact your GP, call NHS 111, or visit A&E
- We recommend the following websites for further information regarding Long Covid: www.yourcovidrecovery.nhs.uk